Hope Through Healing Hands leads the advocacy for hundreds of leaders of faith across the United States on issues of global health and development. From time to time, we submit letters to elected officials with request to protect and increase foreign assistance funding for U.S. programs in maternal, newborn, and child health, international family planning, nutrition, and HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis, and malaria, to name a few.
Please consider filling out the form below to advocate for foreign assistance funding, and we will send your advocacy letter to the President and your respective Members of Congress. Thank you for your one-minute advocacy today!
Sample Advocacy Letter
Dear President/Senator/Representative _________________________________,
As a constituent, I write to urge you to protect and increase fundings for U.S. International Affairs Account for global health and development.
As a person of faith, I care deeply about the health of vulnerable populations, including mothers and children, worldwide.
- Maternal, Newborn, and Child Health, and Healthy Timing and Spacing of Pregnancies: More than 303,000 women die, most of them in the developing world, every year from complications in pregnancy or childbirth. The good news is that we have the knowledge and tools to allow women to decide how best to time and space their pregnancies in a healthy way. However, more than 222 million women worldwide lack access to effective contraceptives, counseling, or services they need to do so. If this need were met through increased funding, families would be empowered to make decisions about healthy timing and spacing of their pregnancies, saving the lives of both women and children.
- Nutrition: Currently one in three persons suffers from malnutrition, which has devastating consequences particularly for mothers and children in the first 1,000 days of life. Cognitive and physical stunting and wasting is a lifetime tragedy leading to chronic disease, impaired immune system, and inhibited intellectual development for individuals. Malnutrition is the root of nearly half of under-five child deaths globally each year (approximately 3 million deaths). The good news is that we can change that. We know that proper interventions during pregnancy including foods rich in folic acid, iron, and vitamin A can alter the course of a child's life. With the prevention of anemia in the mother while encouraging breastfeeding for the first year of life for the child, lives can be offered a full potential for healthy growth and flourishing.
- Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis, and Malaria: This public-private partnership fund over the past fifteen years has provided critical, strategic funding supporting programs in over 135 nations worldwide to halve HIV and AIDS, tuberculosis, and malaria deaths. Its unique integration and coordination with U.S. bilateral funding including PEPFAR and the President’s Malaria Initiative, launched by President George W. Bush, has contributed to saving the lives of millions. Today, more than 10 million people have access to anti-retroviral medications; 49 million lives have been saved with tuberculosis treatment; and more than 626 million treatments for malaria have all been provided through the efforts of the Global Fund.
We thus ask you to support the protection of the entire International Affairs Account (150 account) at FY17 levels.
Secondly, we ask you to restore cuts to the President's recommended budget and support the protection for Maternal, Newborn, and Child Health, International Family Planning, Nutrition, and the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis, and Malaria in the global health account at FY17 levels.
Thank you for your service. We are counting on your leadership and support for healthier families around the world.
Note: Fields marked with an * are required.
Pastors and Faith Leaders: What You Can Do
Lending your name and your voice to the Faith-based Coalition for Healthy Mothers and Children Worldwide is a strong, public signal of your support and will aid in raising awareness and building leadership for the issue. We will write letters to Congress and the White House over the next two years to request their concern and support for maternal/child health issues and funding. From time to time, we may ask if you will consider joining others in the coalition to “sign on” to these letters of support, lending your signature, letting your leaders know that you care deeply about supporting healthy mothers and children worldwide. We anticipate asking our leaders to protect and increase funding for the Global Health budget lines for U.S. programs supporting maternal, newborn, and child health and family planning.
In lieu of a group letter, a personal letter can be extremely impactful for your Congressional Representative, Senator, or the President. We are happy to help shape the content and language of the letter with you to show your support of healthy mothers and children worldwide.
A person-to-person call can be most effective in creating tone and conversation around the issues important to you. We may ask that you consider a phone call with your Congressional leader(s) to convey your interest in and support for healthy mothers and children worldwide. We are happy to help set up such a call on your behalf.
The most successful advocacy is often done in face-to-face meetings. If time permits, we will aid in scheduling an in-person meeting with your Congressional leader(s) either in your home state or in Washington D.C. It is so important that our leaders hear directly from you about your interest in and concern for healthy mothers and children worldwide. We ask that you consider an in-person meeting in the near future.
Previous Letters to Congress
- GFATM_Letter to SFOPS SENATE 8.27.2017.pdf (216.5 KBs)
- HTHH FY18 Letter for Food Security and Nutrition 7.14.17 by state.pdf (308.4 KBs)
- HTHH FY18 Letter for MCH and IFP-3.pdf (131.2 KBs)
- GFATM Letter to SFOPS 5.16.17-final.pdf (133.1 KBs)
- Letter to DJT_3.9.17 150 acct.pdf (222.9 KBs)
- HTHH FY17 Endgame .pdf (383.4 KBs)
- HTHH FY16 Approps Letter Nov 20 2015.pdf (133.7 KBs)
- HTHH Coalition FY16 Approps Letter v 3.0.pdf (1.1 MBs)
- HTHH Faith Based Coalition Approps Letter-12.5.14.pdf (77.3 KBs)